Current:Home > MarketsNew Hampshire casino to shut down for 6 months, could re-open if sold by owner accused of fraud -VisionFunds
New Hampshire casino to shut down for 6 months, could re-open if sold by owner accused of fraud
TradeEdge View
Date:2025-04-06 14:10:01
CONCORD, N.H. (AP) — A New Hampshire casino owned by a former state senator accused of buying luxury cars with a fraudulently obtained COVID-19 relief loan will be shut down Jan. 1 but allowed to reopen in six months if sold to a new owner, the state lottery commission said in a decision made public Thursday
The commission tried in August to permanently revoke Andy Sanborn’s gaming operator’s license, but he appealed the decision and requested a hearing before an independent examiner. That hearing was held earlier this month, and a decision was issued Wednesday.
Sanborn, a Republican from Bedford, owns the Concord Casino within The Draft Sports Bar and Grill in Concord and was seeking to open a much larger charitable gaming venue a few miles away. But the commission argued that his license should be revoked because he improperly obtained federal funds, misrepresented how he spent the money, paid himself large sums as rent and failed to keep accurate records overall.
According to the investigation, Sanborn fraudulently obtained $844,000 in funding from the Small Business Administration between December 2021 and February 2022. Casinos and charitable gaming facilities weren’t eligible for such loans, but Sanborn omitted his business name, “Concord Casino,” from his application and listed his primary business activity as “miscellaneous services,” officials said.
He’s accused of spending $181,000 on two Porsche race cars and $80,000 on a Ferrari for his wife. Sanborn also paid himself more than $183,000 for what he characterized as rent for his Concord properties, investigators said.
In his ruling, hearings examiner Michael King said it was not within his purview to determine if the loan application was fraudulent, but said filing it with “clear false and/or misleading information” was enough to suspend his license because such action “undermines the public confidence in charitable gaming.” He also rejected Sanborn’s claim that the cars were not purchased with the loan, saying there was a “straight line” from the receipt of the loan to the purchase of the vehicles. And he noted that none of the cars were American made, which violates the terms of the loan.
Revocation of the license was not appropriate, King said, because other license holders had been given opportunities to sell their businesses prior to suspensions or revocations.
Sanborn, who did not attend the hearing because he was at a medical appointment, did not immediately respond to a request for comment Thursday. His lawyer had argued that the state’s entire case was built on a sloppy investigation and unproven allegations about the COVID-19 relief loan.
At the time the allegations were announced in August, officials said federal authorities had been notified and that the state had begun a criminal investigation.
veryGood! (55222)
Related
- Grammy nominee Teddy Swims on love, growth and embracing change
- Man charged with first-degree murder in shooting of Phoenix police officer
- Musk deletes post about Harris and Biden assassination after widespread criticism
- NFL Week 2 overreactions: Are the Saints a top contender? Ravens, Dolphins in trouble
- Rolling Loud 2024: Lineup, how to stream the world's largest hip hop music festival
- Worst teams in MLB history: Chicago White Sox nearing record for most losses
- Tire breaks off car, flies into oncoming traffic, killing Colorado motorcyclist
- Florida sheriff's deputy airlifted after rollover crash with alleged drunk driver
- Dick Vitale announces he is cancer free: 'Santa Claus came early'
- Florida sheriff fed up with school shooting hoaxes posts boy’s mugshot to social media
Ranking
- Jorge Ramos reveals his final day with 'Noticiero Univision': 'It's been quite a ride'
- Man suspected in apparent assassination attempt on Trump charged with federal gun crimes
- Democrats put up $25 million to reach voters in 10 states in fierce fight for Senate majority
- Storm nearing Carolinas threatens area with up to 10 inches of rain, possible flooding
- Dick Vitale announces he is cancer free: 'Santa Claus came early'
- Five college football Week 3 overreactions: Georgia in trouble? Arch Manning the starter?
- Why West Wing's Bradley Whitford Missed Reunion at 2024 Emmys
- NFL schedule today: What to know about Falcons at Eagles on Monday Night Football
Recommendation
Stamford Road collision sends motorcyclist flying; driver arrested
Jennifer Garner Pays Tribute to Ballerina Michaela DePrince After Her Death
Another earthquake rattles Southern California: Magnitude 3.6 quake registered in Los Angeles area
Bridgerton’s Nicola Coughlan Shares Why She Was “Terrified” at the 2024 Emmys
The Daily Money: Spending more on holiday travel?
Wisconsin’s voter-approved cash bail measures will stand under judge’s ruling
After a mission of firsts, SpaceX Polaris Dawn crew returns safely to Earth
NFL Week 2 overreactions: Are the Saints a top contender? Ravens, Dolphins in trouble